There are a lot of new suburbs popping up around Canberra, and if you are desperate for the look and smell of a brand new home, it can be tempting to snap up a block and put a For Sale sign out the front of your home.
But building a new home in a new suburb is not always as glamorous as it seems.
New suburbs can take a long time to resemble the look and feel of a “Canberra suburb”, so before you take the leap and put up that For Sale sign, here are a few things to consider:
- How much do you really like the new area? Are you going to be closer or further from the CBD?
- What developmental plans are in place for the new suburb?
- What are the block sizes on offer?
- Is the stamp duty significant? There is no stamp duty on a knock down rebuild.
- Can you buy a block that hasn’t been tied to a builder you don’t know?
- Are you willing to wait for the topography to become established? New suburbs can look barren for years.
- Can you handle constant tradespeople, construction noise and dust as homes are built up around you?
- Can you be sure of the view you will have?
- Are you willing to wait for local shops, parks, playgrounds and schools to be built?
There are many factors to consider, but it is essential to take the time to consider all of your options before taking the plunge. If a new area has caught your eye, spend a good deal of time out there. Really examine the development plans and available blocks. Pretend you are driving to work, or need to go and get groceries. Look at the surrounding suburbs.
If everything you experience makes you fall in love with the new suburb even more, then a new home build may be just the right option for you.
If not, it’s worth considering how you may be able to change your current home to suit your needs and desires for a newer design.
At Rosin Bros, we have been building new homes in new suburbs and doing knock down rebuilds in established ones for over 20 years. We are also highly familiar with many of the new areas, and have a beautiful Concept Home in Wright.
To find out how we can help you make an informed decision about a new home build or knock down rebuild, please contact us for a confidential discussion on 02 6247 4799 or email@example.com.